Monday, September 28, 2009

We can not have it both ways...

I loved Wessels book The Myth of Progress. The idea that one day fuel prices will so high that big box stores will not have the monopoly they now enjoy. When it is cheaper to buy locally than have our food shipped from 1500-5000 miles away. They will eventually close and and the land the are are on now becomes a farm again.
Being a poor college student I struggle with the decisions I have to make in order to survive. I mean I would like to eat locally all of those fresh, tasty and expensive items taunt me. Often I do find myself walking into a store as large as a football field. I feel guilty but there is little I can do I need the cheaper food. Also I have gone to Walmart to buy toilet paper and stuff for school it is at least 1/2 the price. Yes I do shop there knowing that it costs American jobs and it destroys the local diversity of shops and yes I feel guilty. I am after all a consumer not a citizen anymore. A victim if you will of the quagmire of cheaper goods made outside of our country. With corporations having the rights to sue sovereign nations even if these same corporations are putting peoples live at risk. Corporations are getting way to big they are simplifying a diverse free market economy and making it much more unstable. These corps live outside of any known system of law. I think we need to form a green corp. to fight the bad corps. on a level playing field. We could name it the People Corporation its sole duty is to ensure safety for its members and maybe try to bring mutualism back into the equation.

No comments: