Monday, September 28, 2009

Not a bad idea

Having never written a blog before i find myself sitting her wondering how to begin. With so much information gained from Wessels and even the first few pages of Cradle to Cradle, what stands out to me the most? What new and old information can i reflect on in a interesting way? What can i say to make an impact on all the other intelligent people i am surrounded by? I find i am struggling this very same way when trying to decide how i can positively impact this beautiful yet endangered world around me. What stands out to me the most as something i can do personally to help earth? What new ways of living can i look into as well as what tried and true methods are already helping our planet? Moreover, with many highly qualified ecologists, biologist and scientists of all kinds, what can i do that hasn't already been done?
After reading Wessels i find he has a very strong point of view and goes into great detail to explain the science behind many different aspects of our environment. From the Acacia tree and its ants, the spider and wasp combo, to the Hemlock and Rocky ridge. But these are all analogies to relate certain aspects of our actions to the world around us. As an intelligent consumer this is all very interesting and helps me to understand the delicate balance around us, but i feel, with all Wessels had to say, Bill and Michael have cought my attention more in their 13 pages then Wessels ever did.
Bill and Michael, authors of Cradle to Cradle, seem to see the world for what it really is. They understand the vale over our eyes, the endless consumption machine that we are as a world, wait scratch that, as a race. With all the distractions around me, i am unable to make the rite decision, most of the time, regarding the environment and its health. Me being like many millions of other Americans, I am set up for failure.
In their rooftop conversation Bill and Michael hit the nail on the head. In essence, Do not change what the consuming masses have learned to do or buy already. Simply change what it is they are buying and the problem will fix its self. That is a good business plan, using the structured yet dirty economy we have already and infiltrate it with clean, reusable products. Instead of changing the consumer we are changing the product to fit the needs around it, just as we have done so many times before. This would certainly answer my questions from before in one foul swoop.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I have to agree with most of what Grayson has stated. I found Wessels very hard to read and understand at some points. Bigger words and meanings aren't exactly explaining what needs to be said. Cradle to Cradle is definately a better understanding of what is being said, I can relate to the first few chapters right away and do not have to go back and re-read anything to try to comprehend it! I work at a salon who features only Aveda, for those of you who do not know what that is, Aveda is a "way of life" for most vermonters. Our salon has only Aveda because it is from all natural plant extracts. Please check out the Aveda website. We do a lot of promotions and help out a great deal when Earth Month comes around. Donating our time to helping the environment. I find it very easy to work in an environment like this myself. I amm constantly educating people on why we recycle or use the containers for the shampoos or the conditioners, etc. So to keep it simple, Wessels was hard for me to read and I found myself going back and forth from book to book to see if I could maybe read some other points of view to better understand what Wessels was trying to get at!