Sunday, September 27, 2009

Any Day Now... Please

Upon reading The Myth of Progress, I found that there were passages that made me hopeful, and there were parts that made me very depressed about the future of the planet. The concept that various species are often exceeding their capacity, with regular population drops, even in just my lifetime, is unsettling. It makes it seem as though it's just a matter of time before the human population exceeds its carrying capacity. I found that I felt hopeful when I read about nature balancing itself. I guess because I always felt that our negative impact on our environment would lead to a barren wasteland of a planet. Wessel seems to have a different idea about our impact of the planet, which seems to look at it more as "the planet will balance itself regardless of whether of not humans are around." I guess we just have to hope that we're part of this. More appropriately, I guess we have to see what we can do to become part of it. Unfortunately, it seems that, at this rate, we're headed for extinction. Though, given the complexities of human behavior, who knows, we might make some big changes in the right direction sometime soon. As with most revolutions, everything happens at the drop of a hat. For instance, social revolutions tend to happen when they're most needed, just when injustices become intolerable, just when the shit hits the fan. We can only hope that we'll be able to make these moves in the right direction soon. Ideally before said feces is spattered all over. But alas, there's no way to know when it will happen. Prediction only happens in theory. I suppose when we all are walking around smelling like metaphorical dung we will know it's now or never.

No comments: