Monday, March 30, 2009

Organic Cotton

I've decided to do my post on an article that I found about organic cotton. I choose this article for one reason; the new "big thing" is eating organic, even though a lot of people dont understand what organic means and why we would benefit from an organic lifestyle. But, you dont hear much about organic clothing. The first and I think, most important benefit of organic cotton is the greatly reduced danger of ingesting/breathing in the toxins for those who still pick cotton by hand in the cotton fields. Though cotton is mainly picked by machines these days, many developing countries do not have the luxury of cotton picking machines doing their work for them and therefore are exposed, daily, to the harmful chemicals being used by non-organic farmers. Another benefit of organic clothing would be, of course, we are not "wearing" harmful pesticides on our skin. I myself do not know enough about the dangers of specific pesticides to explain exactly what it could do to affect your health, but who does? The fact that you know something could be potentially harmful to you or your families health should be enough to make you want to start changing the little things that could, in the long run, make a positive difference in your health.
I have been trying to introduce more and more organic foods into my diet (which isnt always easy). But, I think it would be easy to just start getting clothes made with organic cottons, keep the stuff we already have, just dont buy anymore clothing made with non-organic cotton. I also read that companies like Nike, The Gap and L.L. Bean are starting to use organic cotton in their clothing, meaning the more we buy, the more organic cotton they use and this would influence other companies to use organic cotton. This would be an easy switch, they even say organic cotton is softer :) so why not? This is just one more little step we could take to do our part.

No comments: