Sunday, March 29, 2009

food for thought

I think that the Green Guide is a very helpful, informative book that has a variety of useful tips. I like the fact that it is a recent publication (2008) because I feel that the websites that are mentioned in the book are current and up to date. The book lists many ideas, relating to sustainability, which I really never gave much thought to before. Some of the things addressed in the readings regarding food made me think about some of the food choices that I make. I think that the most difficult challenge for me is going to be to reduce the amount of meat, eggs, and dairy that I consume. I guess I can start with the “meatless Mondays” idea and take it from there. Suzuki states “Changing your diet could make a bigger difference in reducing your ecological footprint than changing your vehicle.”

I think a lot of times people forget about how their personal food choices affect the whole ecosystem. I know that being conscious of the impact of my food choices on the environment is one of the most effective ways to manage my ecological footprint. Last year I joined a community garden for the first time and I felt a great deal of personal satisfaction from planting, growing, and harvesting my own produce. Not only did I save a lot of money but I also reduced my ecological footprint. I learned a lot from the whole process and I plan to continue to have a garden every summer.

No comments: