Monday, March 30, 2009

Energy from Algae

I recently read an article from EcoWorldly that announces italys plan to use Algae (brought into the canals by ships traveling from Japan and Sargassi Sea) by turning it into fuel to turn turbines to supply 50% of the energy needed in venice. They plan to have a powerplant up and running by 2011. This would be a zero emmisions production of energy and personally I think this is an awesome idea. The Algae planned to be used (Sargassum muticum and Undaria pinnatifida???) are a nuisance to the people of venice, clogging and blocking canals. This is what we need to see more of, taking one thing that we dont need and turning into something we do need. I do not know how they plan on making this work and transforming this algae to fuel but this is, to me, a really genius idea. The article I found was short and I really would like to learn more about this. if anyone wants the article here is the site- http://ecoworldly.com/2009/03/27/algae-a-new-fuel-for-the-venice-seaport/ If you find anymore information on this, please, let me know.

No comments: