Sunday, November 29, 2009

Will our world end?

So I am supposed to write about my views on Capitalism. Until recently I was totally oblivious to what that mean't. Growing up in a household that could care less about the government, has made me quite ignorant to politics. I will do my best to compare Capitalism and what i think about Natural Capitalism, well my thoughts on it all I guess. I think that the thought of our society being back to the way it was at the beginning in 50 years, is probably being very optimistic. Just because we are becoming more aware of how things are working or not working for our environment doesn't mean that more people will try to do anything about it. People are thinking that "someone else" will do the work and then we will be fine. They don't realize that EVERYONE needs to do their part to help. Myself included! I am most definately going to try to do my part and be less wasteful and more conservative with what I am purchasing. How long will I use what I am buying and where will it go when I am done? These are things I would not have even thought about without taking this class! As for Natural Capitalism, its a great concept and we have done a lot of things to get "back" to where we began before all the industries came about. I hope that we can get some of nature restored but am pretty sure that we as a whole will keep producing and the population will continue to go up and up and the cycle will keep going on to destroy what little we have left. We are all hoping this does not happen, so we can all try to do our part and help.
I really liked the section about replacing the carpet with carpet squares, not removing the whole carpet, that way people are not wasting the whole piece of carpet, wasting money by moving all the office out, halting production, getting sick from the fumes afterward and the carpet rotting in some landfill for thousands of years. Making a carpet squares and just replacing those when they are worn out, still provides a job for someone and cuts down on carpet that can not be recycled!
I guess without Capitalism in the first place, we wouldnt be where we are now with jobs and making money and people having the power they have, however, if it never happened, we would have probably figured out some other way to distroy our earth, so now we are just gonna have to find a way to fix this problem!

No comments: