Monday, November 2, 2009

Waste equaling food or is it food is wasteful?

In cradle to cradle McDonough mentions that for example when trees bloom and then drop cherries, it is then absorbed back into the soil, making it better soil for the environment around the tree and for the tree to produce better cherries the next time around. By being absorbed back into the soil, it becomes reusable, for food rather than waste. If we could get a really great composting system in place for say, 8 out of 10 households, we would cut down waste going to our landfills and we could nourish the soil or gardens in those households. I myself have a really big composting pile, for leaves and food leftovers. We have only minimal waste when going to the dump every 2 weeks or so compared to when we weren't composting. Coffee grounds and egg shells are very nutrient based for certain flowers and can really help the gardens grow bigger and heartier. We had to test out certain styles of fencing and bariers for the compost pile, the animals love food scraps! So definately do some research before trying to build one!

Material recycling, well that is pretty complicated. We as a whole have made certain things that we can recycle but other things are clearly marked as "unmarkables". We need to phase out the products that are never going to be known as recycleable and start replacing those items with chemicals and materials that can be recycled. I just wish there was someone out there that cared enough to start doing that instead of taking up space in rented lots or storage spaces for these "unmarkables". I guess it would require someone pretty high up that constructed these materials (pvc) to change them. Why change something that is already done and they are getting the money for it? right? I helped my friends up at Mt. Norris last year build a fence for the waterfront, PVC was the cheapest and sturdiest material to make this fence. If I would have known then what I know now, I probably would have suggested something else for that fence, probably wood of some sort! I was part of that problem im sorry to say!

As for what I think of Suzuki's zero-waste challange, I think its a good idea, it actually got me thinking about what I buy at the grocery store, what I "NEED" or don't need to have for hair products! I think that if you took all the crap that I have in my bathroom closet and put it in a pile, I could pollute my whole town for a day with the airosole hairsprays! I don't always use this stuff but if i need it, I have it, but did i need it? Probably not. I am definately going to be more consious of what I am purchasing for "girls stuff" in the future! Guess that is one chapter I did understand!

No comments: